You would be hard pressed to walk in anywhere holistic and not find a glowing “crystal” lamp. While I am interested in the current fascination people have with crystals, that’s not what I want to focus on in this post. Instead, I’d like to keep it simple and delve into what’s been intriguing me lately, the benefits of Himalayan pink salt.
I started coming across numerous health and wellness recipes that supported choosing Himalayan pink salt over sea salt or Kosher/table salt because it was more beneficial to the body. I also made the connection that most of the “crystal” lamps I was seeing in yoga studios, acupuncture offices, and massage and spa facilities were made of Himalayan pink salt. At this, my attention was peaked which meant I had to do some research.
I am going to share what I found on using Himalayan pink salt in your diet and in your home because this is what interested me most from what I read and also aligns with what My Simply Fit is all about.
First off, where does it come from? Himalayan pink salt is not something new, in fact it is something that was preserved millions of years ago and originated in the Himalayan mountain range (for all my geography buffs this is the range passing through China, Nepal, Myanmar, Pakistan, Bhutan, Afghanistan, and India).
The sea salt beds around this mountain range were preserved with lava and then covered with snow and ice for millions of years, which acted as a natural slipcover that kept these salt beds pure and untouched by modern day pollution.
For this reason, many people argue that Himalayan pink salt is the purest salt in the world. I’m not sure that I can make such a claim, but I can certainly get behind the preservation it’s had from the elements and human activity.
Lets talk diet. Besides its purity, what are the benefits of us consuming this pristine pink salt? I will list 10, even though I came across pages dedicated to the benefits of consuming Himalayan pink salt.
Top 10 Benefits of Eating Himalayan Pink Salt
- Promotes a stable pH balance within the cells
- Strengthens bones
- Lowers blood pressure
- Improves circulation
- Detoxifies the body of heavy metals
- Supports healthy lungs and respiratory function
- Results in lower sodium intake than other salts
- Contains the same 84 trace minerals & elements found in the human body
- Due to its unique cellular structure, it stores vibrational energy (woah)
- Increases hydration
Besides the incredible benefits listed above, why choose Himalayan salt over table or sea salt? In my opinion, the amount of processing both sea salt and table salt go through to get to your kitchen table should be reason enough.
To get the perfect, uniform, snow-white crystals you find in table salt, it is processed with chemicals, heated at extreme temperatures and ground down so much that it no longer resembles the mineral it’s derived from.
While sea salt is a better option than table salt if you are looking for nutritional benefits, it is still becoming increasingly more processed and in result doesn’t offer much in the nutrition department as it once had.
Now lets discuss using Himalayan pink salt in the home. Besides the obvious visual appeal (I mean it’s a perfect glowy-pink!) there are surprising health benefits when you use it for more than decoration.
The most popular benefit of using a Himalayan pink salt lamp in my opinion is as an air purifier. I have to admit when I saw them advertised for this purpose I was skeptical. What would heating a large piece of salt do to clean the air, really?
Well…this is what I found out when I did a little digging. Himalayan salt lamps are indeed actual hunks of salt, which attract water molecules (and any other funky/foreign molecules) in the air, and then absorb them—literally.
If you haven’t noticed I’m a big fan of top 10s on My Simply Fit, I feel it summarizes everything nicely and gets straight to the point. So here are my top 10 benefits of using a Himalayan pink salt lamp in your home.
Top 10 Benefits of Using a Himalayan Pink Salt Lamp
- Purifies the air-the salt absorbs things such as mildew, mold, and germs that can irritate our lungs and cause odors
- Eco-friendly light source-most lamps use a low wattage bulb which means less electricity is being used
- Improves sleep-positive ions buzzing in the air can actually reduce blood and oxygen supply to the brain which results in irregular sleep, the negative ions the lamp gives off naturally neutralize these
- Increases energy levels-as mentioned in improved sleep, positive ions in the air zap us of our energy, when we replace those with negative ions, our energy is preserved and we will feel an increase in stamina
- Reduces allergy-related symptoms-because the lamps are removing dust, pet dander, mold and mildew from the air, those who suffer from such allergies will see symptoms decrease as these are taken out of the air
- Improves mood-this doesn’t need much explanation, when you are sleeping better, breathing better, and having more energy from clean air, your mood is naturally going to improve
- Neutralizes electromagnetic energy in the home-everyday appliances (TVs, computers, cell phones) produce an overflow of electromagnetic energy which can contribute to increased stress, weakened immune system and fatigue, Himalayan pink salt lamps neutralize this energy
- Helps you relax-in an age of blue light, the natural glow of the multi-colored crystals creates a soothing effect which aids in relaxation
- Improves blood flow-studies show that negative ions contribute to accelerated blood flow and improve several disorders of the vascular system
- Combats the common cold-if you want to save your sick days, invest in a lamp. The salt absorbs particles in the air including those pesky germs that cause coughing and irritate our throats and nasal passages
Overall, I say there is a lot of positive research on Himalayan pink salt. The only con I came across was the copycat products that appear to be Himalayan pink salt but is instead a fake and will not produce the same benefits.
If you are looking to purchase a Himalayan pink salt lamp or Himalayan pink salt to cook with, be sure you are looking for the purest most natural form. The salt I cook with is non-gmo and has a description on the label of where the salt is sourced. Likewise, my lamp has a write up on what quarry the piece of salt used to make my lamp was taken from.
I would love to hear your thoughts on Himalayan pink salt and if you’ve tried integrating it in your life.
Peace and <3