I had a request a little while back to incorporate Moringa into a recipe. Before I could deliver on this request I wanted to learn a little more about the “it” superfood so I had more to say on the topic instead of a simple recipe.
First off, if you aren’t read up on Moringa (which I wasn’t entirely) the short-hand version is it is a powerful superfood that is gaining popularity because of its high nutrient content, antioxidants, and healing properties.
There are many claims to what the Moringa plant can prevent and treat but I’ve only included benefits found from multiple sources which also seemed to be the most backed by scientific research. So here they are, the top 10 benefits of Moringa.
Top 10 benefit of Moringa
- Brain health-Moringa supports cognitive function and brain health because of its high levels of antioxidants as well as large amounts of vitamins C and E which help fight oxidation (oxidation leads to neuron degeneration).
- Accelerates healing-it has blood clotting properties which means a reduction in wound healing time because bleeding is stopped and wounds can close quickly.
- Antimicrobial and Antibacterial-Moringa has both antimicrobial and antibacterial properties which help fight infections and digestive problems.
- Nutrient-dense-Moringa is rich in vitamins, minerals and amino acids which include vitamin A, C and E, calcium, potassium, and protein.
- Fights free radicals-being rich in antioxidants, Moringa has flavonoids, polyphenols and ascorbic acid which all help to fight oxidative stress, cell damage and inflammation caused by free radicals.
- Good for the heart-Moringa helps prevent plaque formation in the arteries, reduces cholesterol levels, and aides in blood lipid control.
- Reduces inflammation-it suppresses inflammatory enzymes and proteins in the body as well as significantly lowers inflammation in the cells of the body.
- Liver protector-high concentrations of polyphenols found in Moringa help protect the liver against oxidation, toxicity, and damage caused from fibrosis.
- Alleviates diabetes symptoms-reduces lipid and glucose levels which lowers blood sugar and cholesterol in the body.
- Immunity booster-high levels of vitamins A and iron help stave off infection and boost immune function.
An easy way to incorporate this superfood into your daily routine is the super green smoothie which I included the recipe for below.
MSF Power Green Moringa Smoothie
1 bunch kale or spinach
½ frozen banana
Moringa powder (depending on your reaction to the superfood I would begin with 1 tsp and work your way up to 1 TBL a day)
handful ice cubes
coconut milk (adjust quantity depending on desired consistency)
Place all ingredients in blender, except for coconut milk and process until well blended. Scrape down sides and add coconut milk in small amounts until desired consistency is achieved.
As with any new addition to your diet it is always good to do some preliminary research, add it in slowly and try to obtain from a credible (non-gmo, certified organic) source. Hope you enjoy this power smoothie and cheers to a healthy hump day ahead!