There are some things we take or include in our lifestyle because somewhere along the line we heard they were “healthy”. Often times we can’t quite remember when or why.
For a long time this was probiotics for me. I knew they were good to include in my diet, but I wasn’t clear on the exact reasons (something about keeping the good bugs in your system?).
I touched upon why I started cutting dairy out of my diet in previous posts but didn’t go into how I began to notice adverse affects from the elimination of my daily yogurt (aka probiotics). It was actually astonishing on how much probiotics seemed to affect my system.
I found that on the days I didn’t include probiotics, my digestion and bloating was out of control. This really intrigued me and inspired me to do a little research.
Instead of boring you with the scientific mumbo jumbo, I will keep it simple and in MSF fashion, summarize what I found in a top # list.
6 Reasons Why You Need Probiotics
- Improved digestion-bad bacteria causes gas and bloating, while introducing good bacteria from probiotics helps to fight these strains and decrease symptoms allowing your digestive tract to function properly
- Immunity booster-a healthy digestive tract from having healthy intestinal flor allows for an increase in the production of one immune system responder (lymphocytes) to strengthen our immunity
- Balances gut bacteria-with the addition of “good bacteria” from probiotics, balance is maintained and our systems are able to combat “bad bacteria” which causes discomfort and gastrointestinal issues
- Mood booster-maintaining a healthy gut flora may help reduce anxiety, lower emotional pain and increase decision making (the gut is largely responsible for producing serotonin the ‘happy hormone’, so more time for this the better!)
- Supports urinary health-studies prove the regular intake of probiotics prevents the recurrence of UTI’s in women
- Weight management-research shows probiotics have a large influence on controlling the intake of nutrient and energy regulation- which are major factors in managing your weight
If you are looking for ways to include probiotics in your day to day, look for fermented foods such as sauerkraut, kimchi or pickled cabbage. I found a brand that I LOVE (this is not sponsored, just my opinion) and I’ve included a picture in this post.
There are also a variety of probiotics in pill form that you can find from reputable brands, however as with most things, consuming nutrients naturally and through food (in my opinion) is the best option for absorption.
Probiotics are also in a variety of yogurts and drinks such as kombucha or kefir. When looking for sources of probiotics I encourage you to read ingredients and look for brands that are trusted and known for quality and where they source their products from.
It may take awhile for you to see the affects of probiotics in your system or it may show up in just one day. Every body is different so give it time and see what amount and source is right for you.
What are your thoughts on these bugs? Pro or against? Would love to hear your thoughts 🙂
I’m off to pack my lunch for tomorrow and catch up on Ellen ❤