If you’ve made some of my recipes, followed my Instagram or Snapchat story then you may have noticed I’m a major cinnamon fan. When I first became interested in nutrition, I read that cinnamon helps regulate blood sugar and I’ve sprinkled it on everything since!
Besides the benefits of stabilizing your blood sugar, I wanted to go deeper and investigate some other benefits (there’s got to be a reason this spice has stood the test of time!).
As I read, I began to see tons of benefits this spice can have for our skin. So why not look for a way we can incorporate cinnamon into our skincare routine?
I created a mask that has simple ingredients (most of us have in our cabinets already) and it could not be simpler to make. My favorite way to make things 😉
Without further ado, here is my standard ‘top 10 list’ of benefits followed by a MSF recipe for a pore-minimizing facemask-and literally takes seconds to prepare!
Top 10 Health Benefits of Cinnamon
- Cancer fighter-cinnamon activates protective antioxidant responses in the body to help protect against cell damage and cancerous tumor growth
- Brain health-two compounds in cinnamon appear to inhibit the buildup of a protein called tau in the brain (a significant player in Alzheimer’s) and the spice has also been shown to help protect neurons and normalize neurotransmitter levels (which improve motor function)
- Stabilizes blood sugar-cinnamon has been shown to decrease glucose entering our blood stream by interfering with digestive enzymes during digestion (lowering blood sugar levels by absorbing sugars at a slower rate) which helps with conditions such as diabetes
- Heart healthy-the spice reduces levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol and triglycerides while keeping HDL (good cholesterol) levels the same or higher. Some studies say it also reduces blood pressure
- Anti-inflammatory-high levels of antioxidants in cinnamon have shown positive anti-inflammatory activity in chronic inflammation in the body
- Antioxidants-cinnamon is full of antioxidants including polyphenols, phenolic acid and flavonoids which help the body fight harmful affects of oxidation
- Fights infection-cinnamon is naturally anti-microbial, anti-biotic, anti-fungal, and anti-viral so can be very beneficial in fighting harmful infections and viruses
- Dental health-because of its ability to fight bacteria, cinnamon can be helpful in dental health by killing oral bacteria that causes bad breath, tooth decay and cavities in the mouth
- Digestive health-cinnamon’s powerful anti-fungal properties make it a great candidate for gastrointestinal health and fighting against yeast or candida conditions in the gut
- Skincare-cinnamon can protect the skin from irritations, rashes, allergic reactions and infections and is often used in skincare for its natural affects of reducing inflammation, pain and redness
MSF Pore-Shrinking Cinnamon Mask
¼ c raw unfiltered honey
2 tsp organic cinnamon
juice of ½ a lemon
1/8 c coconut sugar
Mix all ingredients together until smooth paste forms. Apply to clean face rubbing in circular motion. Leave on face for 10-15 minutes, rinse and apply moisturizer. Watch those pore shrink away!
Thanks for letting me rant on about cinnamon, it truly is a miracle spice and one you should consider including in your daily routine!
Would you like to see a how-to video for this mask? I may be filming some more in the near future 🙂