The Maca root is not something new and I touched upon it’s impressive benefits in an earlier post. To be honest I have only recently gotten into using it in my smoothies. When I discovered some of its amazing properties I wanted to spotlight it on MSF for those who are just jumping on the bandwagon and may want a little more info.
It originated in Peru and is part of the radish family although it is commonly ground into a powder and consumed as a supplement or mixed into smoothies. The benefits of this root have been celebrated by ancient civilizations in Peru and used both as a preventative and in remedies by many generations.
Below I’ve listed the top 5 benefits I found to be the most interesting and relevant to what we are looking for today.
Top 5 Reasons You’ll Go Maca for Maca
- Vitamins & Minerals– it is loaded with B vitamins, vitamin C & E, calcium, magnesium, amino acids, iron, zinc and much more
- Energy shot– known to increase energy and stamina, many have turned to maca for performance enhancement in sports and while working out
- Skincare– maca has been shown to help clear skin and irritations caused by acne or other germs
- Mood boost– (one of the most popular benefits) maca helps with mood, it can help those with anxiety, stress, or depression by balancing hormones
- Blood & heart health– the iron in maca helps restore red blood cells which helps with anemia or cardiovascular disease
If you’re looking for a way to incorporate Maca into your week I’ve got you covered. Below is a go-to smoothie I use because it is an efficient way to get my maca for the day and could not be more simple or tasty.
MSF Maca Berry Smoothie
½ c organic blueberries
½ c unsweetened almond milk (can sub any milk)
1 tsp maca powder
¼ tsp cinnamon
handful of ice or frozen banana
optional 1 TBL almond butter for a protein boost or 1 TBL honey if you want it sweet)
Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth (add filtered water 1 tsp at a time for desired consistency). Pour into a glass and enjoy!
I am off to do some meal prep since we got home late last night from our east coast adventure. Wishing you a productive day!
If you make any maca recipes please share and tag me on Instagram @mysimplyfit, I would love to see!