Happy Friday friends! I hope you’ve had a great week so far and have some fun things coming up this weekend. It is my last weekend of in-studio learning for Pilates teacher training, which is kind of unbelievable…it’s gone by so quickly! I’m looking forward to having a little less structure on the weekends and more time to practice teaching and observe classes.
I’m thinking of doing a Pilates highlight each week with tips and tricks, what do you think?
I wanted to keep things straight to the point and simple for this fit Friday and I am super excited about this one!
Jumping rope has always been a fun way to incorporate cardio into my circuit training or for a quick 10 minute warm up. You may or may not be impressed to know that I won first place in our grade school’s Jump Rope for Heart competition. I was the last one standing out of my entire grade…we can breeze over the fact that I only had 60 kids in my entire grade 😉
Ok, let’s JUMP right into the good stuff with some benefits of jumping rope and what we can expect to get out of a sweat sesh involving this versatile rope.
Top 5 Benefits of Jumping Rope
- Burns calories-jumping at a moderate speed burns around 10-16 calories a min.
- Builds agility & balance-jumping rope improves your balance and coordination (think of the focus you must have not to trip!)
- Bone density-studies suggest it is one of the best forms of exercise to improve bone density (also by using both legs to support your weight it is easier on joints)
- Feeds your brain-activities involving both physical and mental demands have a higher impact on cognitive functioning than doing one solo
- Portability-a jump rope is extremely portable and can be transported anywhere so you can exercise whenever and wherever you please
If you want to incorporate jumping rope into your day I suggest starting slow, do a few minutes as a warm up for a workout or do a quick HIIT style session between bodyweight exercises. Working your way up to three, 10 minute sessions a day you can expect to burn 400-500 calories! Pretty impressive for a nostalgic pastime we all know and (maybe) love.
Have a fun fit Friday everyone! I see a grilled pizza with veggies in our future, and hopefully some time to rest and recharge.
What recipes/foods are you looking for inspo with? I will be experimenting in the kitchen soon!