Turmeric is having a moment and even though it’s been used for thousands of years, it deserves to have one. This herb has quite a pedigree, being used in thousands (make that 6,000) of studies boasting health benefits that surpass any prescription medicine and qualifies it as one of the most frequently used medicinal herbs.
So what’s all the hype about? Simply stated, it does all the things. Turmeric is comprised of a compound called curcumin which is known for it’s renowned healing properties. Curcumin is known to be a powerful anti-inflammatory and extremely high anti-oxidant.
Consuming turmeric with black pepper helps with absorption because solely it is difficult for us to absorb in our bloodstream. Black pepper contains piperine, which is a natural substance that enhances the absorption of curcumin by 2000%.
I’ve listed some of the top benefits I found that were QUITE impressive.
Top 5 Benefits of Turmeric
- Brain health-curcumin can increase brain levels of BDNF (brain-derived neurotrophic factor) which is a fancy way of saying neurons in the brain forming new connections and multiplying (common brain disorders are linked to decreased levels).
- Fight cancer-studies revealed curcumin reduced the growth of new blood vessels in tumors, contributed to the death of cancer cells as well as reducing the spread of cancer (metastasis).
- Antioxidant-curcumin is a powerful antioxidant that can neutralize free radicals and protect our bodies from oxidation which contributes to rapid aging and disease.
- Heart healthy-curcumin leads to improvements in endothelial function (lining of the blood cells and a major contributor to heart disease) and with reduction in inflammation and oxidation in the body, it takes stress off of a very important organ, our heart.
- Anti-inflammatory-this might be the most popular benefit because it is well known that turmeric is successful in fighting inflammation in the body. A potent anti-inflammatory such as curcumin helps with joint pain (arthritis) and blood flow in the body.
You won’t have a difficult time finding turmeric flavored anything these days. I’ve seen it in everything from lattes to chocolate bars and the trend just keeps on going. I am all for it and is something I take daily in the form of lemon water each morning (juice of ½ a lemon, 1 TBL ACV, 2 tsp turmeric and cracked black pepper, fill with room temperature filtered water).
If you’re looking for a way to enjoy this trending miracle spice, I included a super simple recipe for turmeric milk below. This may be my favorite way to enjoy it at the moment!
MSF Golden Turmeric Milk
½ c unsweetened almond milk (can sub any milk)
dash of cloves
dash of cinnamon
½ tsp real vanilla
1 tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp ground black pepper
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend on high until frothy and combined. Serve chilled, over ice or warm on the stovetop. Enjoy!
Happy hump day friends! I hope you’re having a great first half of your week. I have been doing a lot of prep for an upcoming trip and some fun posts coming up which I’m excited about! Off to finish some reading and make a cup of tea 🙂